Friday, January 23, 2009

Curse you, Mr. Peanut!!

We just returned from the allergist. Cooper is allergic to peanuts! Curses! Peanut butter is one of my favorite foods! How could this happen?!
I gave him peanut butter for the first time last Tuesday (I even called his pediatrician to make sure it was okay). I put it on some graham crackers and he loved it. When I started wiping his face and hands down, I noticed he was getting blisters all over his lips and around his mouth. Yikes! I called his dr and she told me to give him benadryl, which seemed to work. We went in the next morning and she referred us to an allergist in town. And lo and behold, Cooper is allergic to peanuts.
Now I have mounds of paperwork to read about a peanut free diet and I have to get an epi-pen for him and learn how to use it. If I want to eat peanut butter, I have to wash my hands and brush my teeth before I touch him.
I am grateful ... he only had skin reactions (no breathing or GI problems) and because of that fact, he is more likely to grow out of it (I guess 25% of kids grow out of peanut allergies).
So, I guess a mother's plea to all of you out there... please keep peanuts away from Cooper. : (

4 comments:

christy said...

poor cooper! i hope he does grow out of it. peanuts and peanut butter are so yummy.

Angella said...

Is he allergic to almonds? We love almond butter in our house! It's a little pricier than peanut butter, but it's so yummy! Really, I only buy it if I find a good deal on it, but if one of us was allergic to peanut butter, I'd definitely buy that in place of it.

Jayne said...

Wow! You were just telling me about your friend's child who couldn't eat french fries because of the possibility of peanut fry oil. What a coincidence.

Hope he grows out of this allergy!!

Tim and Family said...

Bummer! That stinks, I also love peanut butter. I hope that you will be able to survive! Good to hear that he is ok though and hopefully he will grow out of it.