Sunday, January 18, 2009

Struggles

So, I always put Cooper down for a nap before church (we have church at 1 p.m.), but last week Cooper decided he wasn't interested. Then followed one of the most un-fun weeks of my life. Instead of taking naps, Cooper wanted to stand in his bed! He wanted to cry instead of sleep! And if I went in there and laid him down, he would get even more mad.

Babies his age generally take two naps a day, but I thought maybe he just wanted one. Well, that wasn't the answer either. Thursday he decided to take no naps at all! Friday and Saturday were one 45 min nap (which really isn't a whole lot better).

He was so exhausted by bedtime, I would usually find him like this, passed out mid-crawl:



Or, I'd find him passed out with his head in his lap. I felt so bad for him. My normally-so-sweet baby was the biggest grump in the world - which in turn made ME the biggest grump in the world. I knew he needed naps, but how the heck do you convince your one year old?!?! (I came to the conclusion that the answer is, sadly: you don't.)

But I am most grateful to annouce that Cooper took a 2 1/2 hour nap this morning before church (Jason actually had to wake him up). He didn't forget how to fall asleep!!!! I guess I shouldn't cheer too loudly, because I never know what tomorrow will bring. But it was sure great to know it was still possible.

Oh, and thanks to all those of you I called and complained to. Sometimes the best medicine is a listening ear!

3 comments:

christy said...

naps are going to get worse from here on out so this is my advice....by the time he's 1 1/2 just call it quite time. don't lay him down just put him in his bed and leave him with a couple of toys. check later and most likely he will be asleep within 30 minutes.

valumama said...

I just remembered when Shelby learned how to get into sitting position on her own, we would lay her down and she would just start crying, we would go in and have to lay her back down... I am not saying this is where you are, just remembered a funny stage we went through in sleeping.

Debra said...

That is a sad picture! What a tired boy. Who knows, maybe growing pains had something to do with it??