So I thought I had some form of Wonder-Woman in me after giving birth to Cooper with no drugs. And then I tried to give blood this weekend. Yikes!
I'm not sure quite what happened. It took them forever to find a good vein (they even had to switch arms on me). They hooked me up and I was fine... until they we almost done. They said I had about 4 minutes left (I guess it was a really good vein... they said it was coming out quickly) and everything started going black and I started getting really nauseated.
They pretty much yanked out the needle and tipped my chair back. The phlebotomist took my blood pressure a few minutes later (it was 70/30) and decided I needed to stay put for a while. She also told me my color was somewhere between green and blue. And about 20 minutes into this I threw up in the little plastic baggie they gave me. And this was all at the stake center.
Talk about embarassing! I know It's important to give blood, but I don't think I am going to try that again. I guess I'm no Wonder Woman. Oh, and I am a little ticked because it was under a pint and because it wasn't totally full they had to throw my blood away. What a waste!
P.S. Any of your RN's out there (Hayley, Sarah) do you know how long it takes for that blood to grow back? Just curious.
Girls Night Bye Nicole
2 weeks ago

6 comments:
I think you're wonder woman for doing childbirth with no drugs. Never could have done it myself!
Hey!
I think you are amazing! Not many people can have a baby without medication Erica, that is truly awesome!
And as far as your blood replenishing - I think it takes about 24 hours. Be sure to drink lots of fluids and rest as often as Cooper will allow :)
you crack me up!! you are definitely not a wimp and all you natural birthers out there are totally wonder women to me!! you'll just have to find other ways to serve humanity in the future besides giving blood! :) you have a lot to offer so i don't think you'll have any trouble! :)
I can give blood...but natural child birth is NOT for me!!!
I go for scheduled c-sections instead ;o)
Sorry it didn't work this time! Don't give up on giving blood forever, though. The same thing happened to me the first time I gave, but I've been ok to give since then!
hey, I think I will still call you a wonder woman! hope you are feeling better now!
and to Jessie, way to go on trying it a second time after fainting the first:)
Post a Comment